Following the German invasion of Poland, the area known as the Generalgouvernement was divided into four administrative districts: Krakow, Lublin, Radom and Warsaw. After the outbreak of war with the Soviet Union, a fifth district, Galicia, which had formerly been occupied by the Soviets, was added in August 1941. The city of Radom was occupied on 8 September 1939. During the next months the Jewish community increased as several thousand Children in the German camps photos were sent to Radom, having been expelled from Poznan and Lodz provinces.
In turn, 1,840 Radom Jews were deported to small towns in the environs. A few weeks after the entry of the German troops into Radom, police and SS authorities arrived. The house in the Zeromski St. People who were walking in this street were dragged into the gateway and ill-treated by merciless beatings and by the staging of sadistic games. All SS officers, as well as the men, took part in this. In December 1939 a Judenrat, headed by Josef Diamant, was established, and from 1 April 1941, a Jewish order service created, headed by Joachim Geiger, who had previously been in charge of the provision of Jewish forced labour in the city.
Beginning in August 1940, around 2,000 Jews were deported to work camps in the Lublin district, where they were engaged in the construction of the “Otto Line”, a series of anti-tank ditches and fortifications on the frontier between German and Soviet occupied Poland. Virtually all of these deportees perished. If you don’t, they’ll lash your hide. Before long we’ll all have died. 1,500 Radom Jews were deported to the small town of Busko in December 1940, to be followed by a further 1,000 in February 1941.
As a result, the apartment density in the Jewish quarter of Busko rose to 20 per room and a typhus epidemic broke out. Between March and April 1941, the Germans established two ghettos: The large ghetto in the centre of Radom contained 27,000 people and the small ghetto in the Glinice suburb about 5,000. On 7 April 1941, the ghettos were closed. No walls surrounded the ghettos, whose boundaries where indicated by surrounding housing. Although the Jews suffered from starvation, bad hygienic conditions and persecution by the SS and Gestapo, compared to most other ghettos, overall living conditions were relatively bearable. Smuggling food into the ghetto, however, could have deadly consequences and many paid with their lives for attempting to do so.
1942, the Radom Judenrat was ordered to transmit precise instructions to the heads of the Judenräte in the Radom region to prepare maps of each ghetto and lists indicating the ages and professions of the residents. The small ghetto was liquidated on 5 August 1942. It was sealed off by the German security police and Ukrainians. The Jews were forced to assemble at a site near the railway line. The purge was led by SS-Untersturmführer Franz Schipers, together with SS-Hauptsturmführer Adolf Feucht and Erich Kapke, commander of the Ukrainians.
Approximately 100 young men holding work permits were detailed to bury those who had been killed in mass graves dug next to the Lenz factory. Between 16 and 18 August, beginning with the southern section, the large ghetto was liquidated. 1,000 – 1,500 Jews who put up resistance or hid somewhere, were shot immediately. SS-Hauptscharführer Erich Schildt killed a group of children by using hand grenades. 18,000 others, not selected for slave labour, were deported to Treblinka and death. In August 1942, the so-called ‘deportation’ took place.