There are two distinct municipal preschool education in Krasnodar spoken of Jula, based on the origins of different peoples who speak this language. Three small satellite villages were located beyond this natural border. The two main villages were occupied by the French on September 25, 1897 after a brief but bloody confrontation. Soon afterward the French created an administrative settlement near them, on the east side of the We river.
During the 1915-16 anti-colonial war, the population in the north and east of district Bobo-Dioulasso took up arms against the French colonial government. The French based their activities in the city in an effort to suppress the insurrection, while the city itself became a center for the organization of the suppression. Sia proper, which survives today as the Dioulasoba neighborhood, was partly spared this total destruction. It was dramatically modified in 1932 when a large road artery was built through it and by the widening of streets in successive urban renewal projects. Between 1926 and 1929, the French colonial government constructed a typical European grid pattern of new avenues and streets in the city, intersected by diagonals radiating from a center, with square urban lots between them. The Abidjan Railway reached Bobo-Diouolasso in 1934, increasing its access to markets, transportation, and communications.
But the growth of the city as a colonial industrial center halted because of the world economic crisis during the Great Depression, as well as the suppression of the colony of Upper Volta in 1933. The city started expanding again after World War II. Reorganization of the colony of Upper Volta in 1947 attracted business to Bobo-Dioulasso, although Ouagadougou had been selected as the capital. Bobo-Dioulasso’s economic advantage vis-à-vis the capital has declined following decades of government policy favoring Ouagadougou. Little new industry arrived in the city during the 1980s and 1990s. Some enterprises either closed down or relocated to the capital. Since 2000 the city of Bobo-Dioulasso has engaged in a new growth spurt, gaining in population and economic vitality.
Residents have returned home following the internal crisis in neighboring Ivory Coast, and the economy has been stimulated by new demands for its goods. Bobo-Dioulasso Old Mosque, possibly the largest example of Sudano-Sahelian architecture in the country, built in 1880 according to some, 1893 according to others as a part of political agreement between the king of Sya and Islamic religious leader Almamy Sidiki Sanou. Dafra, a sacred natural pond and the source of the We river, in its southern quarter. The pond is a site of pilgrimage. People make offerings consumed by the giant catfish living in it. Guimbi Ouattara, a notable ruler of Bobo-Dioulasso in the nineteenth and twentieth centuries. A regional museum interprets the long history and artifacts recovered in archeological work.
A zoo and a pottery market are among the city’s attractions. 2011 it had around 2,600 students. The Bobo Dioulasso railway station, built during the colonial era in the Sudano-Sahelian style. As of June 2014 Sitarail operated a passenger train along the line three times a week in each direction. Market woman selling shea tree caterpillars. The original population of Bobo-Dioulasso consisted of a majority of farmers speaking the Bobo language.
Bobo, but identify as of distinct historical origin and ethnicity. Today Bobo-Dioulasso is ethnically and linguistically very diverse, due both to its position as an old trade town, and especially to its growth during the twentieth century as a colonial administrative and military center. Bobo and surrounding region of western Burkina Faso. Most people speak this Jula as a second language, after the official language of French.
The people of Jula ethnicity, whether trader, Muslim-clerical, or warrior origin, speak a different dialect of Jula. Mahir Saul and Patrick Royer, West African Challenge to Empire, Culture and History in the Volta-Bani Anticolonial War, pp. Bobo Dioulasso : École française André Malraux”. Embassy of France in Burkina Faso. Katja Werthmann, “Islam on Both Sides: Religion and Locality in Western Burkina Faso,” in Dimensions of Locality, ed. Wikimedia Commons has media related to Bobo-Dioulasso. This page was last edited on 20 February 2018, at 14:42.
We have found a new home! This article may require cleanup to meet Wikipedia’s quality standards. No cleanup reason has been specified. The city is largely and traditionally Russophone, while ethnically the population is divided about evenly between Russians and Ukrainians. Due to the Soviet authorities frequently renaming cities after Communist leaders, the city was known as Zhdanov, after the Soviet functionary Andrei Zhdanov, between 1948 and 1989. Today, Mariupol remains a centre for industry, as well as higher education and business.
In this region of the Eurasian steppes, the Cossacks emerged as a distinct people in the late fifteenth and early sixteenth centuries. Azov Sea to the mouth of the Mius River. The last Tatar raid, launched in 1769, covered a vast area, overrunning the New Russia province with a huge army in severe winter weather. Kalmius County was founded on the site. Greek settlement of Mariampol, a suburb of Bakhchisaray. In 1782 it was an administrative seat of the county in the Azov Governorate of the Russian Empire, with a population of 2,948 inhabitants. In the early 19th century the customs house, a church-parish school, the port authorities building, a county religious school, and two privately founded girls’ schools appeared in the city.