An urgent warning has been issued over Ottoman-style beds after a toddler was found hanging unconscious and not breathing on his parent’s lift-up bed after a freak accident. Terrified Charlotte Hames, 30, told how she found two-year-old son Buddy George blue in the trendy toddler parenting sense of style and unresponsive after he got his neck stuck in his parents’ hydraulic bed. She tried to revive him before he was rushed to Queen’s Medical Centre in Nottingham in an ambulance on Monday and kept in overnight by medics before being allowed home. He has made a full recovery.
Ms Hames and Buddy’s father Anthony Ancliff, who also have another son, four-year-old Jesse James, and a daughter of 11 months, Primrose, are now warning parents about the beds, which have bases that hinge upwards to reveal a storage space inside. Ms Hames, from Kirk Hallam, Derbyshire, said: ‘I was in the bathroom and thought Buddy had gone quiet so I shouted up to him but got no response. I had a gut instinct something was wrong so rushed to our bedroom where he’d been playing and found him hanging by his neck from the bed’s lifting loop. He was blue in the face and not breathing – I was frantic. Mr Ancliff, 37, said: ‘Charlotte grabbed Buddy and rushed him next door to my uncle’s house where they called an ambulance and started trying to revive him. Charlotte called me at work saying Buddy had hung himself and wasn’t breathing.
She was so hysterical I couldn’t make out what she was trying to say so I just got off the phone and drove to the hospital in a blind panic. He added: ‘Our children mean everything to us and we couldn’t imagine carrying on if anything had happened to Buddy. That’s why we want to warn other parents about the potential danger caused by these lifting loops and remove them – don’t take the chance. We don’t want anyone else to go through what we’ve been through this week.