Bermuda, regularly updated as a Gazetteer, focusing on this internally self-governing British Overseas Territory 900 miles north of the Caribbean, work with lagging children mathematics miles east of North Carolina, USA. There are schools in every one of the nine Bermuda Parishes. 21 square miles or 56 kilometers in total land area.
There are about 700 public school teachers. Seventy Two Teachers’ Place, 72 Church Street, Hamilton HM 12. Box HM 726, Hamilton HM CX. No special housing plans or preferred professional grants or finance packages for teachers as there are in the UK, etc.
The Bermuda Educators Council Act came into effect in July 2002. It improves standards in the profession and increases the esteem in which teachers are held. It sets the framework for registration, not for licensing, but as a result all Bermudian and imported teachers – not those in an administrative role – will now have to be licensed. The Education Amendment Act 2003, among other things, sets the stage for the regulation of home schools. Education in Bermuda is compulsory for all children from 5 to 16. It is free for parents of students at Government schools, namely primary schools, middle schools, senior schools and special schools – all day schools – comprising preschools, junior, special and secondary schools – administered by Bermuda’s Ministry of Education. Newcomers with children of school age can choose whether to enroll them in a Government or private school, in Bermuda or overseas.
Taxpayer-funded, unlike private schools which are not. All teachers in the government schools are eligible for membership in the Amalgamated Bermuda Union of Teachers, which negotiates salaries and conditions of service. All principals in government schools are eligible for membership in the Association of School Principals, which similarly represents their interests. Programmes of professional development, salaries and conditions of service for teachers and principals have been continually improved. Government grants for primary education began in 1816.